Skip to content
- September 2017: The Washington Post interviewed patient Cathy Helowicz and Yoon-Hee Cha, MD, in “Her dizziness started after two days on a boat, and then it never went away.”
- May 2017: Portland, TN’s WQKR radio interviews board member Cathy Helowicz for their weekly show aimed at men and women concerning issues and providing information for the community, The Afternoon Roundtable 02 May 2017.
- February 2017: CruiseTipsTV answers a subscriber question regarding seasickness after disembarkation in, “Mal de debarquement syndrome MdDS Treatment, Symptoms and Resources.”
- Feb 2017: WFAN’s Bob Salter interviews Drs. Mingjia Dai and Sergei Yakushin on the topic of Mal de Débarquement Syndome (MdDS) just prior to Rare Disease Day.
- Neurology Now, June/July 2016, Balancing Act: Unsteadiness is a common symptom of many neurologic conditions, causing falls and injuries. These strategies can help boost your balance—and your brain health.
- July 2015: WFAN’s Bob Salter dedicates the first hour of his weekly radio show to MdDS. His interview with Cathy Helowicz discusses an atypical trigger, difficulty getting a diagnosis, finding support, and many more of the challenges of having our rare disorder. Note: this recording was provided with ads included.
- June 2014: Green Bay Gazette, “Today’s Take: Join our JAM for motion disorder” by Julie Lipp.
- June: The Telegraph, “When you can’t get off the boat” by Ed Grisamore. Celeste Queen and Sheryl Wilkinson explain how it feels to live with MdDS.
- May: Dr. Tony Maglione talks in-depth with Cindy Beagle about MdDS on his radio show, Political Pulse.
- March: Prime Time PostScript radio, Motion Makes It Better! featuring Jane Houghton. Hayley Wilkinson gets to speak as well. They even close the interview with a snippet of her song “Rock the Boat.”
- March: The simplest thing can be the hardest to do. Jane Houghton speaks with NPR affiliate KCRW, in their Get Off the Couch program (skip to 19:00)
- March: Mirror (UK), Cruise holiday left pensioner left permanently seasick with rare Mal de Debarquement Syndrome
- March: Medical Xpress, Brain stimulation shows promise in treating debilitating balance disorder
- VEDA’s Winter 2014 newsletter features two articles on MdDS.
- Keep an eye open for the next airing of the Discovery Channel Mystery Diagnosis show, The Woman Who Couldn’t Stop Rocking, Season 6 Episode 4.
- April 2014 — The Doctors (US tv show), “Seasickness on Land?” with Dr. Travis Stork and patient Joy Sheerer.
- March 2014 — The Project (AU tv show), “Permanent Seasickness” with Dr. Alan Pearce and patient Fay Selkrig (viewable in AU only)
- ABC News, October 2011, Rare disorder gives illusion of being in motion long after traveling, with Yoon-Hee Cha, MD
- ITV News, March 2011, Feeling permanently seasick after cruise. Tom Savvides talks to Diane Morley and Dr Doris-Eva Bamiou.
- March 2009 — Deborah Duncan hosts Great Day Houston, featuring Terri Gibson and her husband, Mike.
- ABC News, January 2007, Medical Mystery: Disembarkment Syndrome — Sufferers feel as if they are still in motion after they have stopped traveling. (Video not currently available) (Transcript)